Monday 10 August 2015

Keeping on keeping on

Well, the news from the other side of the assault course is looking pretty positive. The tumours in the brain have not grown in the 3 months since radio surgery. They haven't shrunk either, and it may be in due course that we'll give them another blatting when my system's had time to recover from the first one. But they are stable. There's still some swelling around the larger one, which means I have to be back on the steroids for a bit, but so be it. The really good news, though, is from the lung, where the tumour has shrunk by about 50 % . If there's anything else lurking around thinking of growing in other parts of my body, the Iressa (biological therapy) will be working on it too. So - encouragement to keep taking those tablets. We scan everything again in 3 months' time, and see how the picture's developing.

I guess the task for now will be continuing to establish a new pattern of what this next part of my life is for, and how best to spend the energy I have. It's highly unlikely that I'm ever going to have the strength to work again at anything very physically demanding, so I'm learning to let go of feeling guilty about that, and to work out when my body is telling me I need to stop (usually nausea is my best indicator.) I can still write though, even if it's a lot slower, and I'm trying to keep on with that most days, even if only for a few minutes.  Decoupaging in my impulsive and random way makes me happy, and I'll be attempting to make most of my presents for Christmas this year. Popping in to the children's activities I used to help to lead - like our Holiday Club which started this morning - keeps me feeling in touch without getting over exhausted. Quiet times during these holiday days, just being with the family and the dear friends who drop in so faithfully and make us know we are not alone, are precious.Walking the dog most days makes me feel I've achieved something and saved Mike a job! And the sea is fantastic therapy. I am so thankful to live in such a beautiful place.

Highlight of this coming week will be Thursday, when my brave daughter goes straight from picking up her AS results to have her head shaved for Macmillan's Brave the Shave campaign. watch out for the pictures soon!

So - a bit more keeping on keeping on. And a determination to remember that life is good.


10 comments:

  1. Life is good! Sooo good to hear your news. Xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really good to hear all your news Debbie. Keep those positive thoughts going. You are an inspiration. Will keep saying a little prayer for you.xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad to receive this encouraging news. Lots of love from us both.

    ReplyDelete
  4. XxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxšŸ˜ŠšŸ‘

    ReplyDelete
  5. Xxxxxxxx so much love to you all

    ReplyDelete
  6. that's great news ;o) we would love to pop down and see you guys, what do you think Debbie? Feel fit enough, wont be offended if you think your not up for it.let me know, 07881754623

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad to hear positive news from you. We wll keep praying for you all.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So pleased to have this good news! Stay steady.

    ReplyDelete
  9. So glad to hear about this positive start - you've done all this without surgery! Give yourself a chance for lots of rest and recuperation now, as steroids are horrid and take their toll. Very best wishes and hoping that as the weeks go by your new future will emerge from the fog of uncertainty that you have had to face. XXX

    ReplyDelete